Mike Weatherley, the Conservative Member of Parliament for Hove and Portslade, and Intellectual Property Adviser to the Prime Minister, has announced that he will not be re-standing at the General Election in 2015.
Having published an open letter to David Cameron on his website, Mike explains that he won’t represent the marginal seat of Portslade and Hove in 2015 because having beat cancer two years ago he “feels its time to move on.”
He said, “It goes without saying that my years representing the wonderful people of Hove and Portslade have been one of the most fulfilling periods of my life which I will look back on with very fond memories. I have made so many friends over the years including so many of my loyal supporters both in and out of Brighton & Hove Conservatives. I cannot thank them enough.
Ultimately, beating cancer two years ago has led me to review what I want for the future. It has been the toughest decision of my life but I do feel that now is the time to move on.”
Handing the marginal seat to Labour’s Peter Kyle, Mike Weatherly is drawing a veil across his scandal ridden time in office.
• Mike Weatherly- Discovers his wife is a £70 a time prostitute.
• Mike Weatherly- Attacked by 50 ‘violent thugs’ with rocks and tomatoes.
Labour’s Peter Kyle, secure in the knowledge he is now the front runner to take over the Hove and Portslade consitutency, was quick to reply:
“Residents of Hove and Portslade, me included, will want to say thanks for his public service, wish him well for his return to the private sector, and look to the future for our community.”
An aid worker in Eastern Europe and the Balkans, Peter Kyle boasts an impressive CV:
- Moved to Brighton and Hove in 1996 and went to university studying Geography with Development studies and Environmental Studies.
- Co-founded a video production company.
- Trustee of Pride for three years.
- Chair of governors at a local school.
- Worked at The Body Shop’s head office in Littlehampton.
- Became an aid worker in Eastern Europe and the Balkans.
- Carrying out work as part of a small team under the leadership and mentorship of Anita and Gordon Roddick, co-founders of The Body Shop.
- Worked in places like Romania, Albania, Bosnia and Kosovo throughout the troubled period of the 1990.
- Helped children and young people who’s lives had been radically affected by political instability or war.
- Became trustee of a charity called Children on the Edge for several years.
- Earned a PhD at Sussex University by writing a thesis on Community Economic Development researched in the Eastern Cape of South Africa.
- Co-founded a Brighton and Hove-based video production company called Fat Sand.
- Specialized in extreme sports videos, but today it also does a whole host of amazing work with charities, companies and organizations too.
- Remains a non-executive director but has no operational input other than being extremely proud of their stunning achievements.
- Volunteered on Celia Barlow’s campaign in 2005 in Hove and Portslade.
- In 2006 became a special advisor to The Cabinet Office.
- Primarily working on social exclusion policy.
- In October 2007 joined ACEVO, an organisation that represents around 2,000 charity leaders, as Deputy CEO.
- Campaigned on many issues to do with civil society, such as the Commission on Youth Unemployment in 2012.
- A commissioner on the Engage for Success employee engagement task-force.
- Lived in Hove for 15 years
- Governor at the Portslade Aldridge Community College for two years.
- Chair of Governors at the Brighton Aldridge Community College.
WE NEED INDEPENDENCE NOT MORE OF THE SAME.
“Peter Kyle is better than the Labour party and would achieve more if he stood as an independent,” said Matt Taylor who is standing as an independent candidate in the Brighton Kemptown constituency.
He continues, “We now know that the Conservatives, Labour and Liberal Democrats are in it together. You only have to look at all three party leaders holding up the Sun newspaper to realize who their real puppet master is.
Peter Kyle is a fine man who will achieve more for his constituents outside of the Labour party. I appeal to Peter’s better judgment and urge him to go independent in the 2015 general election.”
Having launched an vicious attack on Nancy Platts, asking the question what she would do about corruption in the Labour ranks past and present, Matt Taylor has targeted the marginal seat of Hove and Portslade as an independent target.
He said, “If Peter Kyle isn’t going to do the right thing and abandon the folly of Labour and declare his independence, then someone else has to…
I call on all independently minded men and women to step up to the plate and contest the Hove and Portslade 2015 election as an independent candidate.
The more independent minded people to swamp Parliament the better.
Let’s wake up and smell the roses, all Labour, Conservative and Liberal Democrats are part of the problem. We need independence on Independence Day 2015.